- Vision hardware (eyeglasses/contacts) are not typically covered by Medicare. There is an exception post cataract surgery (if related to the injury) or if a prosthetic eye (also if related to the injury). Learn more: https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/eyeglasses-contact-lenses
- Medicare doesn’t cover most dental care or procedures. Learn more: https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/dental-services
- Medicare will not cover services outside of the country or while traveling outside of the United States Learn more: https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/travel
- Medicare does not cover gauze or bandages unless it’s for wound care. Learn more:https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/supplies https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/surgical-dressing-services
- Medicare does not cover medical Marijuana/CBD Products; because the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved medical marijuana as a treatment for any disease or condition, Medicare will not provide coverage for drugs that are considered illegal according to the federal government Learn more: https://www.fda.gov/news-events/public-health-focus/fda-and-cannabis-research-and-drug-approval-process
What medical items and services are not covered by Medicare?
Pertaining to members with a Medicare Set Aside, the following list and resources indicate common items and services that Medicare does not cover, and we get asked about frequently.